Establishing Your Appraisal Library

Tuesday, August 04, 2009 Posted by Jerry Sampson

We appraisers know that there is no substitute for being in a fresh, current market. But there is something else for which there is no substitute either and that is our library. Your library will be a source of comfort and enjoyment to you. It will be a place for you to turn when you are confused, lost or unsure about an object. Yes, your library, if you develop it correctly, will quickly become a major focal point of your appraisal career.

Now I know that it sounds "old fashioned" in this day of technology, but there is really nothing like having a well-developed, accessible library. Oftentimes I talk with other appraisers who might not have as much experience as I do, and the one thing that I hear so often is " I don’t have much of a library; I use the computer." Well, that may be true and, of course, I do the same thing to some extent. But you will never be able to grasp and understand a subject just by reading about it on the Internet.

I’m going to title this series of blog entries "Establishing Your Appraisal Library." I’ll break this down into several chapters so it can be easier to absorb. Through the weeks we’ll cover such chapters as these and several others:

How do I acquire books for my library?
Proper storage and retrieval.
Hard back or soft back? Which is correct?
The dirty secret about price guides.
Magazines and other periodicals.
Databases and printed auction catalogs.
The importance of small papers.
When it’s time to dispose of a library.

Be on the lookout in the coming weeks for these topics. I promise that if you pay attention you’ll be able to create or refine your current library.
Remember, Knowledge Is Power, So Arm Yourself
You can leave a comment, or trackback from your own site.

2 Response to "Establishing Your Appraisal Library"

  1. Todd W. Sigety, ISA CAPP Said,

    Good post Jerry. Just yesterday I was on an inspection which included a great NY or Philadelphia Classical card table. When back at my shop I started flipping through the book on Philadelphia Empire furniture, and low and behold I find the near exact same table. The only difference I could tell was my example had casters and the book example did not. It has to be from the same cabinet shop and carver. In addition, the notation on the card table said it was a "masterpiece of Philadelphia classicism". You can't beat that. I think the client will be very happy as well.

    There is no replacing a good library.

    Posted on August 4, 2009 at 6:40 PM

     
  2. Unknown Said,

    Great post, Jerry - and congratulations! I'm blogrolling this site so I can continute to check it out.

    Posted on August 5, 2009 at 4:31 PM

     

Appraisal Calendar

Join the LinkedIn Personal Property Group

From Amazon


Journal of Advanced Appraisal Studies