Artfact and the iPhone

Saturday, February 27, 2010 Posted by Todd W. Sigety, ISA CAPP
By Todd W. Sigety, ISA CAPP

In early December I received an email from Susi Prescott at Artfact about the release of a new application for the iPhone. I was immediately impressed and posted on the AW Blog and Appraisers Post. At the time, I was using an older model regular cell and not a smart phone, but I thought the idea of access to Artfact/Invaluable through a smaprtphone such as the iPhone was a great idea. Perhaps more importantly it could have significant benefits for the personal property appraiser.

Last week I had a Doctor’s appointment and when I arrived the receptionist said the Dr. was delayed in surgery, but was on his way to the office. If I could come back in about an hour or an hour and a half they would get me right in to see him. I said sure, and drove over to a shopping center to kill some time. And, there was the AT&T phone store. Well, the time away from the doctors was well spent. I would like to say I purchased an iPhone, but I really think I made an investment in an excellent business tool. And, if you like gadgets like me, it is also pretty cool tool. Although I will say, if it was not for Susi telling me about the app , I don’t know if I would have made the change.

My cell plan could withstand the upgrade, so I purchased an iPhone 3gS with 16 gigabytes of storage for $200.00 (plus some accessories). It has gps, maps, camera, video, calendar, email, clock, compass, messaging, stocks, Youtube, web surfing, wifi, plus the enormous library of applications such as the Artfact app.

For those unaware, an app is a software program designed to run on the iPhone or other smartphone. It is formatted properly for the small screen size. Typical websites can be browsed, but if the formatting is not right, they can be hard to view and utilize, the smartphone application takes care of this. With smartphones we have always had the option to send email, check some websites etc. The development and popularity of smartphone and the software applications happens to make viewing and reading much easier, and gives the phone so much more utility.

Benefits for the appraiser are many, such as access to email and the web. Calendars are great, because they can be synced to from your primary computer to smartphone. The GPS on the iPhone is amazing for location, finding shops nearby, and directions.

Click READ MORE below for the rest of the article.



Back to the Artfact app. I log onto the iPhone/iTunes online store and download the Artfact app, which is free. I have an Artfact account, I sign in, and there on my phone are thousands of comps with prices and upcoming auction info. Some items you need to have a subscription to access, other content is totally free from the Artfact site. The app will even search recent and past auctions, although the full sold lot database of Artfact is not available through the app. As the software is further developed and new versions are released I do hope more of the past auction database, beyond those of Artfact auction listings will soon be included and searchable with the iPhone. I can easily see using the smartphone as a regular tool in my appraisal practice when judging level of property or when looking for a quick on site value range opinion during a walk-thru. For more information on the iPhone app from Artfact, click HERE. If you have an iPhone and an Artfact subscription, there is no reason you should not be taking advantage of this free additional application and use of the Artfact auction site.

In addition to the great Artfact app, Live Auctioneers has an app with past sales information, Christie’s has an app with recent auction results, eBay has an app and LinkedIn for networking. Hopefully, Sotheby's will soon have an application as well. I know I am going to benefit from all of the functions from the iPhone, Artfact and other software being developed for these devices.  My main thought of them prior to Susi's email was a texting device for kids, and to send and receive emails.  Perhaps I have been behind the times in getting a smartphone, but I am quickly learning, there really are many more uses than texts and email.  Thanks Susi.
You can leave a comment, or trackback from your own site.

1 Response to "Artfact and the iPhone"

  1. Jorge Luis Gonzalez Said,

    Great article! Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I am a long-time iphone user and love it's ability to keep me in sync and in touch I've even gotten into the habit of photographing items on the go and emailing pictures to colleagues while in the field. The artfact app is a godsend and I'm sure will come in handy.

    Posted on February 28, 2010 at 9:01 AM

     

Appraisal Calendar

Join the LinkedIn Personal Property Group

From Amazon


Journal of Advanced Appraisal Studies